Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mental Illness Affects

I was reading an article titled “Mental Illness affects half of all Americans during their lifetime. That title does not mean at this given moment. It means at some time in their lifetime. One thing I found interesting is that in a study “Over the previous twelve months, about 8.4 million American adults thought seriously about suicide, 2.2 made plans to end their lives, and about one million attempted to commit suicide.” That is a lot of people. I know for me when you are mentally ill, you do not understand what is happening to you. Suicide comes to your mind to end what you do not understand. Whereas if I were not mentally ill I would not even think of it, in me there is always hope that the problem or place I am at is not forever. Even when I do not want to have hope it pops up. Even when the worst thing I could imagine happened, I still had hope. What can that be? It was being told I had a sentence of one day to life in the State Hospital a place I had never been to before. I cannot forget being faced with that. It did help me make some new choices in my life. To always be in control of what I do in life. To make sure I do not wake up in jail after being drunk and told you hurt someone or even killed them. Or not even know what you did. A person would never be able to go back and change that night or day. It happens to a lot of people. I will never let it happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment