Monday, June 18, 2012

What’s there to be Said

There have been many times someone has spoken to me, greeting me, commenting on the day, the news, exercising their intellect with no intention except to be cordial or concerning or even helping me to understand one thing or another. I am not there to understand what I should and I am not feeling well to respond either. During these episodes, I may be under the weather, slightly depressed or confused about something other than the greeting of someone who may feel quite different than me. I may be overwhelmed about work or just sitting at home with no interest in anything when guest have appeared. I know something is wrong when I am not smiling within or following any conversation. I am stuffing my emotions when I do not react responsibly, when I don’t want to associate and I am holding back by not exclaiming to myself when I am troubled; nor do I want to hear some old cliché about how I should be feeling. When someone says something to me something as, “it will be alright”, or “you’re smarter than that”, or anything relating to joy or happiness, you’ll find as I have that “old clichés don’t always work to clear the cob webs from the rafters.
We live in a world of know and know not and a sorely depressed person would know how badly it is before they want to understand when others are trying to cheer them up with some phrase or worldly cliché. I know people suffer in many ways, so why remind someone of their suffering with words they may not want to hear. Most clinical illnesses are related and within these relations, guilt plays a major factor, and often it has no reality for existing, yet I know when I need an adjustment and am searching for the better I know it is not something flowery when I am not feeling so well. I am only looking for someone to listen to me because I want to sort out the problem that plagues me.
There are many things that can be said to someone with a medical disorder, such as with mental illness which can lead a person down a shallower path. As people may think they are helping with flowery words, or sayings retrieved from the annals of history, they may not know that they are only causing worry or consternation simply by not realizing that a person with especially mental illness, may only want to be heard, but not motivated as well by perfumed phrases or even negative ones. There are phrases which disarm the mind’s eye of those who are mentally ill, and being offensive they may cause themselves harm or someone else. This is part of the stigma of caring for someone, even if they don’t care to harm themselves often caring to isolate themselves from what they realize may not be the truth in a cheerful cliché.
We can control our acceptance of therapy and without the speeches of cordiality, intellect, or compromise as we grow even more discerning of becoming recovered from our illness and in this knowing we can accept this without negative verbosities which may even be a rose.
11 Things You Should Never Say to Someone With Depression » Medical Billing and Coding Certification

Written by Donald S.

No comments:

Post a Comment