Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Smoking, Diabetes Linked to Natural Deaths in Schizophrenia Patients


That is the title of this article I am writing this blog about. “Smoking is one of the top natural causes of death in patients with schizophrenia, according to a new study.  Researchers found that schizophrenia patients were 4.7 times more likely to die within the 6.2 years of follow-up if they were smokers.” They do not say how much they smoke.  I used to smoke one and a half packs a day.  I was coughing in the elevator one day and this guy said you smoke and I said yea he said you’re not going to make it to fifty.  That is not the reason I quit.  My ex-wife was supposed to quit because my granddaughter was born and was going to live with her.
I quit because I wanted my granddaughter to be able to come and visit me.  I went to the doctor and he prescribed wellbutrin.  My friend sent me a list of the side effects from this medication and darn if I did not have all the side effects.  My mouth and tongue tasted awful.  After a month of this the doctor gave me another prescription although I did not fill it.  I had already quit and it has been fifteen years.  I was skinny and spent all my money on cigarettes not on food.  “But in half the patients with immune conditions, diabetes was also a leading cause of death.  Nearly one third of patients with schizophrenia also had urinary infections.  These findings underscore the life-shortening effects of smoking in this population and the urgent need to more vigorously promote smoking cessation, said study author Faith Dickerson of the Sheppard Pratt Health System, Baltimore.” I do not want diabetes that is why I walk every day.
I have not lost any more weight because I do the same walking every day.  If I do extra like on Saturday and Sunday I work out on the treadmill.  I would keep gaining.  I also watch what I eat.  I do as I have said before I want to be there when my youngest grandson grows up.  I want to make sure they are ok before I die. “Of 517 participants in the study, six died of unnatural causes and 25 died of natural causes, primarily heart-related conditions.  Other natural causes were respiratory, neoplastic, infectious, blood disease, and mental (delirium, in one patient).” I am going to keep working out even if I get no results.
The article goes on to say: “Problems concerning the immune system were found in 20 percent of patients who died compared to 4.7 percent of those who did not- raising the risk of death to a significant 4.5-fold increase.  The most common immunologic condition was insulin-dependent diabetes, found in 16 to 33 patients with such conditions. Cardiovascular problems were most common in survivors as well as in patients who died, and were tied to a 2.5-fold increased mortality risk. Finally, genitourinary conditions, particularly urinary tract infections, were found in 32 percent of patients who died, compared with 8.6 percent of those who survived – a 4.35-fold increased mortality risk.  It is of note that urinary tract infections have been found to be highly prevalent in persons with acute psychotic symptoms, said the researchers.” Diabetes most of us get it from taking the medication. It is good to take walks or any kind of exercise to not get it. Even if you do not have grandkids it is worth it to enjoy life without a disease.  Why suffer it is not so hard to take a walk when it is getting dark and cool to enjoy the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment