Monday, January 25, 2010

Strength of Mind

Sometimes when I am waking, whether there’s quiet, or storm, rain or snow, even summer or fall; I have to force myself to rise, and begin the new day. The argument within my mind, caresses my being with negativity yet before long I have given myself an excuse for being a part of the realm of society which ask me the same question I ask myself, “why am I being”? Often times my answer is real, or silly, and what I get out of being conscious of my reality is somewhat suddenly preposterous. I now feel a bit stronger, because someone asks me what I was wondering and I knew I was not alone having these thoughts, and I could trust someone to help answer them.
Strength is more than just muscles or tensile construction, it is a bonding of oneself with the reality surrounding and understanding; it is also respect. Strength is thought, a surrealistic joining of the materiality of being and a willingness to share understanding. Some people are strong in a positive sense, sharing and giving and building at the same time with those they share their strength with. Others are negatively strong, destroying the weak and foundations of hope, maligning the faith of believers. It happens in the streets, in schools, in businesses, even in the church. There is positive and negative, there is strength and weakness.
Where I work we were given a book entitled, “Strengths Finder 2.0”. In this book, of which I have read several Themes, I find it has given me the opportunity to see myself, to understand some of my weaknesses and try to change them with new ideas. The main body of the book is called “The 34 Themes and Ideas for Action”, and within that body is a theme called, “Discipline”. Discipline is structure, it is focusing on the world about yourself so that you know what you want to achieve. Discipline is the need for self control, and control over what you feel to create. There is an “Idea for Action” in this theme which struck me as on time, “Accept that mistakes might depress you….”
In AA, NA, in Mental Health Centers and in Recovery, the clinicians during their recovery groups ask if you can “Accept the consequences for your behavior, can you accept the consequences for your mistakes, or negative attitudes of others or your own."
It’s like waking up in the morning, and asking yourself, “why am I being”, without a hand to raise you and you discovering it takes strength, your own as well as, those you can trust.

By Donald Sammons

No comments:

Post a Comment