Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wisdom

Do we need wisdom to recover? We first have to make a decision that we want to better our lives and to recover. Would our lives be worse if we do not recover? The A.A. serenity prayer says “the wisdom to know the difference” Whether our lives are being lived in the right way. I think our lives would be worse if we did not recover. What would my day be filled with if I did not strive to get an education and or work? They the day would be filled with watching T.V. or listening to everybody gossip about each other. Or talk about how bad things are and do nothing about changing the situation. What is wisdom then? Miguel Ruiz in the Voice of Knowledge says about wisdom. “Common sense is wisdom, and wisdom is different from knowledge. You are wise when you no longer act against yourself. You are wise when you live in harmony with yourself, with your own kind, with all creation.” That would make recovery and wisdom hand in hand. When you no longer act against yourself and instead want the best for yourself. Which you think should include better mental health and a better life. Do you think recovery and wisdom go hand in hand?

2 comments:

  1. I guess I have not been very wise. I am still learning how to be wise. In the midst of severe depression, my ego says, "God Damnit! I have the right to end my life. I want to and no one can stop me." This kind of thought is accompanied by an intense feeling of dread and hopelessness. "HOPE" is the key word here because lack of hope causes me to feel depressed. So the question is, how does a wise person come to find hope? Well, one way is by sitting down and researching positive therapies and connecting with other bipolar people searching for hope. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is in regards to a comment made on my wisdom blog. Hope is something that has been around since the beginning of time. What is it? It is a process or situation that will get better or improve. There must be a link between depression and schizophrenia, because I remember just laying around when I first was sick with schizophrenia. I could not understand what was going on with me and did not want to do anything but think. Instead of getting better things changed for the worse, then a long struggle to start over from scratch. Somehow I knew there was no other way. I believe depression would be like getting a life sentence. Do you just give up or is there a slimmer of hope that the depression will ease. That you may have a chance on appeal and be free someday. I’ve been in situations where there was no hope, but I believed that some good would happen. I also believe that you have to help the situation if you can. By believing things will get better and to help if only in a small way.

    ReplyDelete