Friday, March 25, 2011

Recovery

Recovery is like anything that you would like to achieve, you have to put your mind to wanting to recover. If you want to make a good life without mental distress, it is more than will power although will power does help. You have to put in the work to get better. One way to start is by identifying your triggers that bring on your mental distress. Like when I was drinking one of my triggers was Friday night when I was paid. I’d go out and drink. For mental distress it might be stress that brings on your symptoms. I use to write out my triggers on a piece of paper and carry them to remind me what they were. I found for myself that going to school and work helped me a lot to feel normal, and not always think of my mental distress. When my granddaughter was born and I started watching her on weekends, which took away a lot of loneliness. I could have just hung around the clubroom in the building I lived in. Although to care for someone else and feed them was a lot better. As for anything including recovery you have to find what works for you. I found by borrowing different parts of other peoples stories and incorporating them into mine it helped me. When you are finally recovered and feeling well it is great. There will always be down days and times. Just look for what is good about a situation, it cannot all be bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment